An Appeal for Bicol
Note: My apology for all the homilies this week. Since typhoon Reming hit Bicol, my province, I have focused my energies on relief operations. This is one of the letters we distributed to seek further support. I am from Camalig in the Province of Albay, the area with the largest death toll.
SIMBAHANG LINGKOD NG BAYAN (SLB), ADMU Disaster Response and Management (DREAM) Team and the UP Diliman Catholic Chaplaincy, University of the Philippines
AGAP BIKOL and Tabang sa Kabikolan (UP-Diliman) extended.
Reports from Civil Defense Officials as of December 6, 2006
- 526 dead mostly around Mayon volcano and another 740 missing
- 1.54 million people affected nearly 83,000 of whom sought refuge at evacuation centers
- More than 250,000 damaged houses and damage to buildings, infrastructure and agriculture placed at P1.6 billion
- Power facilities in Albay valued at about P200 million destroyed and power restoration may take more than six (6) months (Albay Electric Coop)
Relief and Rehabilitation Program
- P100,000.00 relief fund personally released to Fr. Jovic Lobrigo (Diocese of Legaspi Social Action Center Director) who visited SLB Office last December 4
- P50,000.00 rehabilitation fund released through Ateneo de Naga University’s Center for Community Development headed by Mr. Nono Sto. Domingo
- Initial construction materials purchased to be shuttled to Naga December 6 evening due to reports of shortage in construction supplies
- SLB-ADMU Dream Team Batch 1 leaving December 6 evening for Naga operations. Batch 2 leaving December 7 evening for Albay operations.
- Team of Professional Psychologists from various institutions (ADMU, DLSU, UGAT Foundation and CLC, among others) formed for Psycho-Social interventions as per request of the Diocese of Legaspi. Program will start December 7.
- Various goods being collected to be shuttled to Albay.
- Volunteers for goods repacking. Details, as follows:
o December 8 (Friday) 8:00 p.m.
o Cervini Function Room (ADMU Male Residence Hall) back of Church of the Gesu
o Contact Person: Franco Soberano (0917-6442626) or Cervini Director Tim Gabuna (Tel. 426-6001 local 5900)
- Trucks for shuttling goods and construction materials
- Construction materials (G.I. Sheets, Plywood, Nails and other basics)
- Medicines for cough, colds and fever and surgical mask
- More food, preferably canned goods and noodles
- More funds
You may directly donate the goods to the Cervini (Male Residence Hall) Function Room at the back of Church of the Gesu. Temporary AGAP BIKOL Relief Operation center can accept donation from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight. Contact person is Residence Hall Director Tim Gabuna. You may communicate with him through 426-6001 local 5900.
Priority: Food (Canned Goods, Noodles and other kinds with long shelf life) and Water
Direct deposits (online from any of the BPI branches) may be made to:
SIMBAHANG LINGKOD NG BAYAN (Account Name/Payee)
Bank of the Philippine Islands (Loyola-Katipunan Branch)
BPI Peso Checking Account Number 3081-1111-61
BPI Dollar Savings Account Number 3084-0420-12
For proper acknowledgment:
- Please fax a copy of the validated deposit slip to SLB through telefax 426-5968
- Kindly indicate contact information: Name, Address, Email, Mobile
- Those who wish to remain anonymous may skip this procedure
Or you may send it to
Loyola House of Studies (LHS)
Ateneo de Manila University
Loyola Heights, Quezon City
Telephone Number 426-6101
Time: 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Official Receipts will be immediately issued to you by the LHS Lobby Porter.
For dollar remittances:
- You may purchase a Manager’s Check and send it via any courier to SLB’s address OR
- Course it via telegraphic transfer to BPI Dollar Account
Should there be any concerns, please contact:
MS. MARJORIE TEJADA
Telephone Number 426-6101 local 3440 (Office Hours)
MR. RC BATAC
SLB Project Officer for Socio-Economic Development
UP DILIMAN MECHANISM
Send all goods to the UPSCA Tambayan, Parish of the Holy Sacrifice, Diliman, Quezon City
Call the Parish at 9269496, contact Fr. Jboy Gonzales SJ, UP Chaplain.
All the relief goods will be brought to the Cervini Dormitory, Ateneo de Manila University. (see above).
Cash can done through Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan (SLB) [see above.]
*picture from CNN
Posted by Unknown at Thursday, December 07, 2006